  Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:58:20 -0400
From: Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Changing out the Fuel Filter Q
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

R A Bennell wrote:
> OK, I know this is pretty basic, but I plan to change the fuel filter
in my 76 300D. I have not done this before so
> I am soliciting advice. I am advised that there is no primer pump on
this model. Do I need to fill the canister
> with fuel or will it prime itself if I crank it long enough?

Whoever advised you that there was NO primer pump on this model is
IGNORANT. Still, it's a good idea to fill the filter with CLEAN diesel.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84
190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)

---------------------------------
From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed Jul 12 15:40:20 2006
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:40:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Curt Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Just like Christmas!!

I put the new seal into the cap on the PS pump this morning. The old one was
totally solid, its amazing it made any seal at all. The new one was much larger
in diameter and very pliable rubber. It squeezes into the space and stays there
nicely. I'm not 100% sure yet if it cured the leak, there was a little ATF on
the hood but that could have been caught in the hood seal, I forgot to wipe it
down this morning.
  The hoses looked good but the return line is real cheap from Rusty, I may
order a meter and replace it just to see.

  -Curt
  '85 190D

  Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:22:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Curt Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com

Its fun isn't it? I got a little care package today too.
Finally the seal for the leaking powersteering pump lid so no
more ATF up the hood on my 190D. Of course now I need something else
that I didn't need when I made my last order... It never ends.

-Curt
'85 190D "Dory" 242kmi

From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed Jul 12 15:46:15 2006
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:46:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Curt Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] FW: '79 240D alternator

I kicked myself when I finally bought the new battery. I'd convinced myself
that because the battery was only like 3 1/2 years old I didn't need a new one.
When the weather was relatively warm, say 30s or above, it was fine, no
problems. When it got cold at all it'd start hard or not at all. Previously the
car would start decently down to -10F or so although it'd have to crank quite a
bit.
  A new battery at Autozone was something like $60, I kicked myself more since
it was so cheap. The install was VERY easy.

  -Curt

  Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:16:47 -0400
From: "Dwight E. Giles, Jr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

This battery is over 5 years old-the Indy did test the grounds and
wires. This last one lasted 9 months-but see previous post about rain &
puddles. Probably should get new Interstate battery before winter.
Bright side is that it gives me an excuse to drive the turbo.

Dwight Giles, Jr
1979 240D auto, 250K + miles
1990 300D 2.5t, 135K miles
Wickford, RI
Bissell Cove Quahog & Auto Salvage Co.

From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed Jul 12 15:51:42 2006
From: "R A Bennell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:56:52 -0500

Well, perhaps he misunderstood me. I tried to order a new one and was told it
did not exist?? Being a novice at
this sort of thing, I did not argue.

Randy B