Now, bear in mind I'm electrically challenged ;-) - so, I remove the plug from the relay and set my meter to resistance - automatic scaling - and with one wire to ground I touch the other to the plug going to a GP and read the
resistance?

Exactly. Nominally 0.6 ohms engine cold, but on a warm day. Don't forget to subtract any value that you get off the meter with the two leads shorted
together, low-ohms readings can be tricky that way.

BTW - I sent a seperate email with this question - but is there a preference between Beru GPs and the much lower priced Bosch? I suspect Beru are OE.

My understanding is that the Beru are preferred.  More durable or
something like that.  I've used both.

-- Jim