All MB diesels start out in 1st. Most MB gas models start out in 2nd
unless you do the L thing,

Find a flat road, floor it, watch the hash marks on the speedo and
count the shifts as  you get to around 70 or so...there should be 3
shifts as you have a 4 speed transmisson.

While you are at it, time the seconds to 60, should be around 13
seconds or so for a turbo.

John