From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Levi Smith
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:06 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] How many gears in an 83' 300D?

OK, for some reason I was thinking the tranny in my 83' 300D was a 4 speed.
It's shifted rather hard since I got it more than a year ago.  Then the
other day a thought occurred to me and I paid more attention today.  Sure
enough it seems like I only have (or am using) 3 gears.  If I had to guess,
I'd say I'm missing 3rd as it's always hardest shifting into top gear.  So
what I'm wondering if that's why it clunks so hard is because it's dropping
from 2nd into 4th.

Am I stoned and this is only a 3 speed?  Or have I somehow lost a gear?  If
I lost a gear, how the heck can that happen?

Thanks!
Levi