Thanks Larry!/Tom
----- Original Message ----- From: "LarryT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "Tom Scordato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 9:47 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 1979 240D Time Chain Stretch

No problem - in the front of the engine between the crank pulley and the
engine you should see a timing wheel with degrees marks - something like
40-0-40 in 10 degree increments - you'll have a hard time seeing it behind
the fan blades and other stuff - but the fan belt on the pully will be a
give-away.

With the cam set to Zero, read the degrees below - there's also a metal tab which sticks out over the degree wheel so you can tell *exactly* where it is
degree-wise.  If it were a gas engine a strobe light would make it wasy to
see. You may have to clean the degree wheel off some - they collect grease
and junk.

In the attached manual section Page 6, part 24 is the degree wheel and part
14 is the pointer.

Gotta go for tonight -

Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net
Porsche Road Test http://members.rennlist.com/roadtest/
.