On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:31:17 -0800 (PST) Christopher McCann
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing that, Craig. I am sorry to hear that your wife has
> seizures. I have recently just read about seizure dogs. IT IS AMAZING.
> I could not believe what I was reading! For those who don't know,
> seizure alert dogs can tell when a person is about to have a seizure
> BEFORE the person knows they are going to have one. The dog alerts the
> person and is also trained to protect them during the seizure (laying
> between them and objects, etc). Craig, correct me if I'm wrong. That is
> my understanding. The book I read said that doctors are not sure how
> seizure dogs work but they think the dogs can smell changes in brain
> chemistry that precede a seizure!

Chris,

You are correct. Our dog's grandfather can warn his owner typically 20
minutes before a seizure. Once he warned an hour beforehand. Since the
talent to detect seizures runs in dog families, we're expecting good
things from Ori.

> The newest thing is melanoma detection dogs. Absolutely amazing.

Actually, they can detect all kinds of cancers.

> There are also termite sniffing dogs ...

I hadn't heard that, but it doesn't surprise me.

> Gentle as a lamb with our one year old... really neat to watch them
> interact.

And she'll be very protective of the little one as they both grow up.

Craig