Ah another opportunity to float an opinion. You're right, Rich, it is
informative and interesting to hear all of us sound off (and I've been
doing it a lot lately I know).

It is demoralizing to hear about what China and India and whoever else
are doing - seems it would more than cancel out anything sensible we
do over here.

But I have a theory that if all Americans (extremely theoretical, I
know) would just make one change, our energy problem would be solved.

The one I was thinking of yesterday as I walked the pooch was this:
If everyone would just start driving in a reasonable fashion rather
than mashing the accelerator senslessly, I think the impact would be
huge. I'm talking about behavior like accelerating fast even though
there is a stop sign or a nice downhill in 50 ft. The amount of time
gained by driving like mad is often negligible. People just fricking
don't think when they drive. It's rush up on the car in front of you
and tail them - even when you are not in any particular hurry. I wish
folks would just take a second and ask themselves: Why am I raving
like this? I think TV and movies have a lot to do with promoting this
- especially in young people.

It was an eye opener for me recently when I had the opportunity to get
a ride from an about 19 year old boy. He told me that people drive so
slow and it "pisses the f___ out of you. And you just have to tailgate
them to let them know." Next time you see a young person drive, watch
them - they are very rough on the car. And watch the "gangsta'" types
drive. It is standard m.o. to pretty much floorboard the car everytime
you take off, and yank the wheel when making turns. Unfortunately a
lot of times these cars are mid 90's Chevy Caprices which probably are
getting about 8 mpg around town under these driving conditions.

Anyway, I know human nature will never change. But I do literally
think that eliminating this problem alone could make an immense
difference.

Brian

David wrote:
The bottom line however, must remian in the way in which we use power.  Do
  we really need a 4,000 sq. foot home?  Can we not wait to go to Wal Mart
  until we need more than a bottle of ketchup in town?  Would it hurt us in
  some way to walk to the local corner store for that candy bar we desire?