[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Marshall  was 100 percent about his "factory knows best" statement with
> one  exception. And that is when newer technology is an improvement. A
> good  example is Mobil 1 oil which did not exist when most our older
> Mercedes  were built.

I'm trying to remember when 15W50 came out. I know I was buying it
in 1987 or so, but I think it was fairly new then.

> Marshall was exceptionally vocal on K&N air filters being unnecessary  (and
> less efficient) because of the excess air flow designed into our  diesels.

He had a point, for two reasons.
1. Marshall always said "time yourself 0-62, then pull the air filter
and do it again. If there's no change, quit thinking about reducing
AF restriction to increase performance".
2. Every objective test I've seen (usually in the 4x4 magazines) has the
K&N flowing more dirt than the factory filter element.
Mitch.