K&N air filters being unnecessary  (and
less efficient) because of the excess air flow designed into our  diesels.

There was a K&N air filter in my first '78 300D.  I pulled it out totally
covered with oil.  I wasn't sure if it   was oil misted by blowby or
overoiled in the first place, but I later found out that it was overoiling.
Nothing came out of the engine during the oil cap test.  I took it to a shop
and had the valves adjusted, and this was before I knew about warm versus
cold engine valve adjustments.  They did it after we drove the car 10 miles
to their shop which is not nearly ideal (found this out when it wouldn't
start the minute the temps dipped into the 30's).

Kevin in Hillsboro, OR
1983 300SD 266Kmi, ursula who'll be going in for a set of new tires tomorrow
since one of the El Cheapos put on by the PO went flat.