Yes, you are no doubt correct that my furnace is not very efficient and a new
one would reduce my heating gas cost.
However, I have been advised that I should keep my old furnace as long as it
works. The new fancy ones cause much
more trouble and can eat up the fuel savings in repair and maintenance costs.
That does not mean we are not
thinking seriously of an upgrade. The house was built in 1981 so the furnace is
26 years old. I would really like
to do groundsource heat pump but that is expensive to install and we lack the
ground space to do it traditionally.
The holes would need to be deeper and we would use fewer of them. The other
alternative is a new furnace and ac
unit but I keep hoping that they get better all the time and the bugs get
worked out so hope that waiting is an
advantage rather than a mistake. Also think of going total electric as we have
lots of hydro electric power and the
rates are reasonable. Would require an upgrade on the main panel. Also think
about superinsulating the house but
then wonder if I were going to do that if it would make more sense to sell and
build a new one. Too many options so
for the moment, I am doing nothing as the natural gas prices seem to have
flattened out and are not yet breakng us.

Randy