That probably depends on how well you keep your Mercedes repaired.
I probably try to get too many miles out of every part; waiting until they
go bad before replacing them.  After a few other things in the shop are
completed, I plan to spend some money and update the 300D for road trips.
The 240D "is" in good shape, but it's not too good in the mountains.
Nevertheless, a new car is tempting; if for no other reason than it being a
new kind of toy (with all kinds of cool electronics) to play with.  (-:]
Gerry