I use http://www.pricewatch.com/ and Google shopping
(http://www.google.com/prdhp?hl=en&tab=wf) to find stuff. Pricewatch
includes shipping in the price comparison, google does not. Vendors
have to pay for placement in Pricewatch, Google is free once they work
out the details of the data feed.

The Asus M2A-VM HDMI motherboard is priced right at $80 from Amazon, a
matching AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+ 2.5GHz processor is $100,
Kingston has 2 gig of ECC DDR2 800 Ram for $60.
That will give you a barebones system that will output 1080p HDMI to
your new TV. You will need a copy of CyberLink Power DVD Ultra to play
HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies - plus a HD reader of course. You can get a
copy of XP Media Center Edition cheap off eBay, or go for Vista
Ultimate - and turn it into a Tivo-like recorder. If you have cable,
you can get the ATI CableCard USB HDTV box for $300 and watch and
record HD TV. Add a TV Tuner and/or HDTV tuner to get on-air
broadcasts.
XP Media Center Edition limits you to 4 tuners, Vista only does 2.
500Gb Sata drives are < $90.

I happen to be putting one of these together this week.

-Dave Walton