When I built my own PC (2003, pre-Mac) I used newegg - best service, one
source for all my parts, good reputation, and I got free shipping at the
time.  Plus they source their memory from Crucial (Micron) which is one of
the better memory suppliers.  I didn't want to futz around with multiple
stores shipping at different times and I built my computer for ~$400 with
excellent components.  Still runs today; it's now my parents' computer.

If you want a Maxtor 80GB 7200 RPM hard drive, I have a brand-new one under
my bed that never been used.  Make me an offer.

On Dec 28, 2007 11:21 AM, dave walton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I use http://www.pricewatch.com/ and Google shopping
> (http://www.google.com/prdhp?hl=en&tab=wf) to find stuff. Pricewatch
> includes shipping in the price comparison, google does not. Vendors
> have to pay for placement in Pricewatch, Google is free once they work
> out the details of the data feed.
>
> The Asus M2A-VM HDMI motherboard is priced right at $80 from Amazon, a
> matching AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+ 2.5GHz processor is $100,
> Kingston has 2 gig of ECC DDR2 800 Ram for $60.
> That will give you a barebones system that will output 1080p HDMI to
> your new TV. You will need a copy of CyberLink Power DVD Ultra to play
> HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies - plus a HD reader of course. You can get a
> copy of XP Media Center Edition cheap off eBay, or go for Vista
> Ultimate - and turn it into a Tivo-like recorder. If you have cable,
> you can get the ATI CableCard USB HDTV box for $300 and watch and
> record HD TV. Add a TV Tuner and/or HDTV tuner to get on-air
> broadcasts.
> XP Media Center Edition limits you to 4 tuners, Vista only does 2.
> 500Gb Sata drives are < $90.
>
> I happen to be putting one of these together this week.
>
> -Dave Walton
>
> On Dec 28, 2007 10:58 AM, Kaleb C. Striplin (CAT)
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have been thinking about upgrading my computer or building another
> one.  What is the best/cheapest place online to buy computer parts these
> days?  Will probably be looking for a bare bones with just the case, board,
> processor memory etc.  this being PC, NOT mac.
> >
> > ---
> > Kaleb C. Striplin
> > Cox Auto Trader
> > 730-Tulsa FSBO Supervisor