Hi all,

Here is a reply from John Olson, SL Market Letter editor to my query
concerning a purported 1000SEL on eBay.

Take care,

Chuck
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Daimler-Benz never built or sold a car called a 1000 SEL. In my
opinion this offering should be pulled from E-bay, by E-bay, for
gross errors in presentation. There was a car called a 1000 SEL
marketed in Germany by a aftermarket modifier, I believe it was
called Styling Garage. Their 1000 SEL was extrapolated from a long
wheel base S-Class sedan -- I have an elaborate mid-1980s sales
brochure from the Styling Garage in my archives featuring a 1000 SEL
with widened body, conspicuous spoilers and side skirts, and
elaborate interior, TV in the front and back seats, leather dash and
headliner, and totally unique upholstery pattern. The Styling Garage
prospered for a bout five years selling cars to Middle-Eastern oil
sheiks after the first oil shortage/crisis. It was possible to get
faster motors but the Styling Garage and other similar companies were
infamous for extreme interiors and controversial fiberglass body
appendages. Some of them wore this exact sale 1000 SEL nomenclature
on their trunks.

The only part of this E-bay offerings that I can see that appears to
be a "genuine" aftermarket part is the "1000 SEL" trunk label. The
car "may be" an early 1986 model (first titled in 1985) with 1986
side-moldings and allow wheels. Everything else about it looks like a
normal, 1985 gray-market short wheelbase 500SE. The seller claims the
the car has a 5.6 liter V8 but offers a "126-036" chassis number
indicating a short wheel base (SE) 5.0 liter V8. A 560 SEL would have
a 126-039 VIN. The 560 SE would be 126-038.

You are welcome to forward this e-mail to anyone in the club asking
about this E-bay car."

// John //

John R. Olson, Editor, THE SL MARKET LETTERS
. "Publishing for Twenty-Seven Years" .
. 2020 Girard Ave. So. Minneapolis, MN 55405 USA
. Phone: (612)-377-0155 - FAX (612)-377-0157