It's toast, I think.  On the 300D, one wire is the fan switch, should
be open, but the other two (two wire plug, if the plug is still
intact) is a thermistor. May be a switch and a thermistor on the
W126, I'm not sure.  Could be a coolant temp switch, too for that
matter, you will have to check, I don't have the W126 manuals.   I'd
replace it -- make sure you know the engine and chassis number, as
they changed during production and aren't interchangeable.

Peter