> Anyone receiving a TF task could edit the worktodo.ini from
> Factor=20.abc.def,59
> Factor=20.abc.def,65
> He would receive approx. twice the credit the effort is worth.

In fact the probability of finding a factor would be less than one sixth.

[...]

> Would this cheat be trapped later by P-1 or does P-1 trust earlier work
> so factors below say 67-bits are not considered?

P-1 doesn't 'trust' the amount of TF, in the sense of failing to find (or
ignoring) small factors.  However the calculation of the probability of
success - and hence of the optimal bounds - assumes that none will be found.

P-1 and TF search different but overlapping factor spaces.  My understanding
is that P-1 has about a 1 in 3 chance of finding a factor in the TF range.

However I don't think the server logs who finds a factor, or how it was
found, or even if the exponent was assigned to the finder.

> The above questions are _not_ asked because I intend to use the method.
> :-/ I think it would miscredit GIMPS as we trust the results of GIMPS.

Factorisation is merely a tool for quickly eliminating candidates.  We do
not double check negative results as a proof that there are no factors in
the checked range (though found factors are checked by the server itself).

> And I would be disappointed if I learned that an LL I did could have
> been solved far earlier - and using less effort.

One way to avoid this disappointment personally would be to focus solely
upon TF or
P-1.

> br tsc

Daran G.