Yeah, well, we don't have a super cool Trojan horse program that can
update itself (and crash machines) like these other ones, and we're not
out there looking for ET or saving cancer boy or anything... just a
bunch of geeks looking for big numbers. :)  (tongue planted firmly in
cheek here).

Actually I don't really know... do the folding@home and seti@home
projects use self-updating code?  When they phone home, can they update
themselves like spyware (thinking about Hotbar and the like)?

To be honest, I thought that would be a neat option (note the use of the
word option) to have your Prime95 check itself with something on the
primenet server that shows the latest version... if there's a newer
version available, a little box with a clickable link to the ftp site to
download the new version.

But certainly not automatic (or if there was an auto-update, have that
NOT be the default), and also have a setting to turn that off entirely
(for people who run it on unattended machines like servers, etc).

Pretty much like the way the new Windows Update works... has full auto
mode, download and prompt to install, notify only, or totally turned
off. :)

Aaron