Isn't this (3GB user mode) only supported on Windows NT Advanced Server? (which is probably free for you to use but for everyone else costs the same as a new car!)

If it isn't then I've encountered some people who will wish they'd have known about this a long time ago :-)

Paul Leyland wrote:
From: Brian J. Beesley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] usable by a single process is limited to 2 GBytes. (There is a "big memory" variant of the linux kernel which expands this to 3 GBytes, but the point still stands).

FWIW, WinNT and its descendents can be booted with /3gb in boot.ini, whereupon a single process may use up to 3G of physical memory.   This switch tends to be used mainly on big SQL server boxes but I found it necessary when running very large filtering and linear algebra jobs for NFS factorizations.   For this I needed a very large chunk (>1Gb) of *contiguous* virtual memory and although the standard boot mode would let me have up to 2G of VM, system DLLs were loaded somewhere near the 1G region, thereby fragmenting memory.  Booting with /3gb placed the OS well out of the way and let me have the space I needed.
--
======= Gareth Randall =======