"Do not add the /3GB switch if you are running Windows 2000 Server,
Microsoft Small Business Server 2000, or Microsoft BackOffice Server
2000. This switch is designed for use only with Windows 2000 Advanced
Server and above."

(from the MS knowledge base).

Same applies to NT 4, where it only works with the Enterprise edition.