I've seen a kernel config option to allow a 3GB-user / 1GB-kernel split, even on normal hardware, so you should definitely be able to reach 3GB on any CPU type.

As for the 36-bit address extension, I haven't tried it but the following .config entries look relevant:
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set

Chris Marble wrote:
Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:

Actually, in newer Linux kernels (ie. at least all 2.4.x versions that I can
remember) you can expand this further, up to 64GB on CPUs that support it
(which is, AFAIK, Pentium Pro and newer, so in reality it won't be a
problem). I don't really know what it does, but judging from the help entry,
it appears like it can still only address 4GB at a time, so it's more or less

Actually it's a lie.  I've got a dual Pent III with 4Gb RAM.  You cannot have
a single process that uses more than 2Gb of RAM with any of the Linux 2.4 kernels.
We hadda install Solaris on the box to do what we wanted to.
--
======= Gareth Randall =======