On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 09:00 -0800, Christoph Bumiller wrote:
> michal schrieb:
> > This branch simplifies pipe/p_format.h by making enum pipe_format what
> > it should have been -- an enum.

> > I would like to hear from r300 and nouveau guys, as those drivers were
> > using some internal macros and I weren't 100% sure I got the conversion
> > right.
> >
> Hi !
> In nv50_vbo.c/nv50_vbo_type_to_hw you imply that  UTIL_FORMAT_LAYOUT_ARITH
> means normalized (UNORM,  SNORM) and LAYOUT_ARRAY means SCALED, which
> seems to be not the case.
>
> PIPE_FORMAT_R32G32B32A32_SNORM for instance also has layout ARRAY.
> I'm not sure what ARRAY/ARITH are supposed to mean ...

I just documented UTIL_FORMAT_LAYOUT_*. It is really a subjective
attribute meant generating software (cpu) routines to translate pixel
to/from a format. It is quite likely this will grow/shrink with time.

Hardware drivers are better off using other more objective attributes in
util_format_description, or even PIPE_FORMAT_xxx names themselves.

> Anyway, you could probably base the check on channel[0].normalized,
> since the formats used
> for vertex elements are not mixed.
> I still don't see how to distinguish SCALED and INT though, which at
> some point will have
> to indicate integer attributes ...

Could you elaborate? At least u_format.h semantics are  that INT
describes how the bits should be interpreted into a value (integer as
opposed to floating point). SCALED concerns how those integer values
should be further interpreted, namely their range (0..1 or -1..1, in
opposition to INT_MIN..INT_MAX for the given bit width). I think it
covers all PIPE_FORMATS_xxx.

Jose