On Friday 25 December 2009 07:03:02 Corbin Simpson wrote:
> Isn't this incredibly at odds with our previous discussion, in which
> we generally agreed to not advertise support for unaccelerated things?

No, it's really not. We don't have caps for core features, e.g we don't have
caps for vertex shaders and this goes hand in hand with that. Geometry shaders
are optional in the pipeline meaning that unlike fragment shaders they can be
absent in which case the pipeline behaves just like it would if the api didn't
have geometry shaders exposed at all i.e. vertex shader outputs go directly do
the fragment shader. So for games/apps that don't use geometry shaders this
won't matter at all. And games/app that are so new that they actually check
for geometry shaders will already be slow on i915 and r300 not because of
geometry shaders, but because they're running on it on i915 or r300 =)

Not to mention that this is not a fringe feature that will be present only in
super high-end and futuristic hardware.

All in all it's a bit like fixed-point hardware - programmable hardware is not
a cap because it's what Gallium models. We can't just keep the Gallium
interface at i915 level and mark everything above that as a cap, it'd be silly
given that we're generations past that now.