It appears that on 7/30/99 12:46 AM, dohna [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Oh... don't go too fast! There is a big security whole you are opening.
>I would not start stacks of an uncertain source if they can read and
>modify any files, and on windows machines even the registry. They can
>not reprogram my microprocessor ;)  , but these stacks are trojan horses
>that can do any damage they like. Propably a sandbox, that stops stacks
>from executing certain commands, is on the FRL already ;-)))

Good point. Hmmm... As stack authors, people trust us every time they run
a stack we create. They have no assurances other than the fact that they
know where they got the stack. (or think they do) This method of security
is based on accountability rather than restrictions.

Making MetaCard into a browser would mean everyone would be a stack
author. Can anyone think of a way to either:

a. indelibly mark a stack with a digital fingerprint of the
computer/person that created it?
b. provide a setting in MetaCard to prohibit stacks from performing
certain actions? Could a front script do this?

>> Finally, another command would be a great one:
>>
>> save this stack to url "http://www.anotherserver/adirectory/"
>>
>> [etc.]

>How about simply allowing urls in the fileName property?

This seems good to me.

>And how about a concept for relative urls: A stack with the fileName set
>to an url (starting with "http://" or "file://" or whatever) can ommit
>the server or path in any reference to any other url. So if a stack has
>the url "http://www.metacard.com/demo/one.mc" it could have a button
>"Next" with a script like:
>go to stack url "http://two" --> http://www.metacard.com/demo/two
>go to stack url "http://../two" --> http://www.metacard.com/two
>go to stack url "http:///two" --> http://www.metacard.com/two
>etc.

I was thinking of this same thing, in order to apply it to the filename
property for images. Allowing the filename property of a stack to be a
url, and allowing the filename property of a graphic to be relative to
the stack filename, would make stacks much more portable. Is there a way
to make this automatic, so that I could move a stack to a different
location without having to edit it?

Geoff Canyon [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"C.D. Caterpillar teaches kids how to read, not how to watch cartoons."