On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, David Bovill wrote:

> HyperCard seems to be able to do the conversion OK, here is an excerpt from
> the help file from 2.4 QuickTime Tools:
>
> The timeFormat property specifies the format by which all the time
> properties are set and displayed. The <time format> is either the string
> constant ³SystemTime² specifying a comma-delimited list of
> ³hours,minutes,seconds,ticks² or the string constant ³MovieTime² specifying
> an integer in the movie time scale.
>
> The default time format is ³SystemTime².

This is unrelated to the issue of frames and SMPTE, though the
HyperCard format, which is different from all the others, is yet
further evidence that there is no "standard" format for representing
time in movies.  MetaCard only supports the equivalent of "movieTime",
but converting to system time is very simple math (as shown in my
earlier post).
  Regards,
    Scott