On 24/9/00 1:48 am, David Bovill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As part of my campaign to make distributable components out of Metacard
> groups... I find myself dissatisfied with the way that Metacard looks for an
> object by name.
>
> I am at the moment writing for every single object reference that I script
> something like:
>
> put "hello" into fld "Text" of the owner of me
>
> The reason for this is just in case there is another field named text in the
> environment. Now this is beginning to annoy me as it is long winded. I would
> prefer "fld Text" to refer first to a field named text within the current
> group, and then anything in groups within any groups in that group, and not
> to something outside of the current group unless I explicitly say so.
>
> Now as this would clearly cause too many compatibility problems, how about a
> little change so that I can set an object property (stack or group), so that
> when "groupReferences is true" all references to controls are within the
> current group (ie the owner)? This should apply to numbers as well as names.

An existing feature that may help here is the hcAddressing stack property,
which forces object addressing to be HC compatible and helps with this
problem.

Regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.runrev.com/>
Runtime Revolution Limited (formerly Cross Worlds Computing).
Tel: +44 (0)131 672 2909.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.