Iain,

I'm using almost exactly the same stack as you (Python 2.7.12/Mezz
4.2.3/Django 1.10.8). I'm running it on Ubuntu, but it shouldn't make any
difference with Windows or Mac.

One more question: when you said you are creating a 'top-level' menu item -
did you mean at the same level as About and Contact?

If you would be so kind, would you be able to submit a bug report at
https://github.com/peterkmurphy/menuplaceholder/issues, with a description
of what menus items you added and remove, what OS, and so on. I admit I am
completely flummoxed at this point, but I want to sort out this bug in my
code.

Best regards,
Peter