On 26 Nov 2007, at 15:55, Ciaran McNulty wrote:

Is (X)HTML too unwieldy to
be the global replacement?

I feel that ‘(X)HTML’ or ‘X/HTML’ in every instance would read clumsily and uglify the text. It would be irritating to read an entire document where every instance of a familiar and legible abbreviation was peppered with parenthesis. I proposed having a single ‘HTML and XHTML’ definition on the microformats wiki front page, but it would be reasonable to say that the _first_ mention of HTML on every wiki page should say ‘HTML and XHTML’ or ‘HTML or XHTML’ as appropriate.

Having the first instance expanded is good practice for abbreviations, so it would make sense to expand the first ‘HTML and XHTML’ and use ‘HTML’ thereafter.

How's that?

Ben