Michael Smethurst wrote:
"Of 4 users 2 had abbreviation expansion turned on."

Ah, but what was your sample group? Were they, by any chance,
highly-able professionals, probably with a business interest in web
design and accessibility? Or were they little old ladies using Thunder
or NVDA because those screenreaders are free?

Apparently JAWS has ABBR support off but ACRONYM on by default, which
surprised me. Anyway, I have one user whose screenreader doesn't
support ABBR (Thunder), and one who uses JAWS and leaves it off so
far. I'll mail you details privately.

Interestingly, I think your "what about people with cognitive problems
getting confused?" point might be of more real-world importance, but
since people cognitive problems are not as powerful politically they
probably aren't a problem for you.

Best wishes,
Alasdair King
WebbIE

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Michael Smethurst
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 22/5/08 17:23, "Alasdair King" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> There has been some testing, that will hopefully be published soon,
>>> but it's not definitive (since there's not much data on how most SR
>>> users have their setups).  That's all :)
>>
>> Sorry, I meant of course "I infer that they've tested the default
>> settings of the screenreaders..."
>
> My screenreader knowledge is minimal but iplayer have tested hCal on a
> variety of outa the box screenreaders (sorry, can't give a full list - I'll
> try and hunt it down). By default they all had abbreviation expansion turned
> off and ufs passed with a  clean bill of health
>
> I believe we also did very, very limited at home testing. Of 4 users 2 had
> abbreviation expansion turned on. It's a stupidly low sample size which is
> why we're appealing to screenreader users to help us out
>
> It wouldn't be so much of a problem if it was just one hCal per page but for
> a schedule day view we have quite a number:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/schedules/fm
>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/
> Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance
> on it and notify the sender immediately.

Alasdair King