On Nov 13 13:13, Kai Tietz wrote:
> 2012/11/13 Corinna Vinschen <vinsc...@redhat.com>:
> > On Nov 13 13:09, Ozkan Sezer wrote:
> >> ... is my point: I don't have an objection againt your correction, I have
> >> an objection against its full form being present in the first place.
> >
> > So you want to keep winternl.h as close to upstream as possible, thus
> > removing already available (and tested) definitions?  Personally I don't
> > think it makes a lot of sense to keep a "Reserved1" field intact, just
> > because it's not documented.  Nobody *has* to use the undocumented
> > fields, after all.
> >
> > Anyway, that means the idea to move the (used and tested) definitions
> > from Cygwin to Mingw64 is moot.
>
> Well, I would welcome it as long as fields are proven OS-idependent or
> showing real use-cases in applications using our winternl header.  And
> I think that cygwin as user is a vaild case, isn't it?

That makes sense.  Unfortunately Cygwin tests the value of a PEB member
with an OS-dependent name at one point, but otherwise we only use
OS-independent stuff, afaik.

> But I strongly agree to Ozkan that we don't want to have
> NDK-definitions here.  At least for now I see the burden to test all
> cases as not sensible ... but well, I might be wrong

I have to admit that I have no idea what constitutes the difference
between an NDK-definition and, well, any other kind of definition...

> > Alternatively, what about having two definitions for each datatype?  One
> > of them the default, close to the MS definition, the other one if you
> > define __WINTERNL_ENABLE_UNDOCUMENTED.  This would also guard the
> > officially entirely undocumented datastructures.
>
> Hmm, this sounds like a nice idea.  But I would think that it might be
> better to have a switch which forces MS' PSDK mode and having
> extensions enables by default - at least as long as normal use-case is
> unaffected by it and our users might have an advantage by it.

To me the advantage is that we have a chance to unify the definitions
used from user-space and put them into a single file.  If it turns out
that a definition hasn't been tested enough and must be changed, there's
a single point to change it and every user of Mingw64 can profit right
away.

Corinna