Hi,

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Adrien Nader <adr...@notk.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014, Matthew Brett wrote:
>> Hi,

>> > I quite dislike github and its UI in particular. Uses flash on every
>> > page (no idea what for) and lots of javascript which makes my laptop
>> > heat and get noisy when displaying something as small as a 3-lines diff.
>> >
>> > Anyway, is there an advantage github's pages over doing it on the
>> > mailing-list like it is currently done? The amount of messages which
>> > comes from that doesn't seem to be an issue.
>>
>> Sometimes it doesn't seem as if small things will make much
>> difference, but when you try them, they do.
>>
>> Things really change when you're using git - because
>>
>> a) work is naturally arranged in commits (this helps review and organization)
>> b) you can make more substantial changes because branching / merging is so
>> easy
>>
>> This makes it harder to review patches as text in email, because
>> patches usually don't carry the commit info, and because it's only
>> comfortable to review small changes in email text. It's very
>> inconvenient reviewing larger work-in-progress changes via patches,
>> because it's easy to lose track of the relationship of previous
>> comments and code changes.  If the author responds to comments, they
>> either have to email the whole revised patch again, or you the
>> developer need to keep a branch of your own in sync with theirs, in
>> order to test their changes.
>>
>> This is why the pull-request mechanism is so remarkably good in github
>> - it makes proposing changes part of ordinary workflow.  A proposed
>> change is always just a branch.
>>
>> 1) Start work on your own branch
>> 2) Push to your own fork on github while you're working
>> 3) Make pull request via a few clicks or 'hub' command line tool
>> 4) Anyone can comment on whole pull request, individual commits or
>> individual lines, using github email interface or web form interface.
>> 5) Comments remain on web interface for public record.
>> 6) Developer can rebase on master as needed using same pull request pages.
>>
>> I think this isn't very obvious at first because svn is so hard to
>> branch that you very rarely get substantial / long-lived changes
>> except by the lead developers.
>>
>> I really like the command line, I use vim as my editor, never use GUIs
>> for git - but I couldn't live without the github pull-request
>> interface for my projects.
>
> I see, thanks.
>
> When the amount of code to review gets larger, I simply run gitk which
> is not pretty but works really well. Gives the commit history and diffs
> and files modified; it's one of the 3 non-CLI applications I run on a
> daily basis.
>
> I also like that once the changes are available locally (not necessarily
> checked out on disk), I can use the usual tools to find and grep while
> github's search has never helped me find something interesting (and same
> for everyone around me).

Sure, if the changes get large, then I often find myself checking out
the branch locally as well.  The pain comes when commenting on changes
line by line using email, and that soon becomes very annoying on a
commit - by - commit basis, and tough for the author to track.

I haven't found it much of a problem going between the web interface
for comments and using local tools to look at diffs, but ``git-pulls
browse`` looks like a nice way do to that.

Cheers,

Matthew