Hi,

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Adrien Nader <adr...@notk.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014, Matthew Brett wrote:
>> Hi,

>> > *snip*
>> >
>> > I'm a bit surprised at the choice of Git -- in my experience, Windows
>> > developers usually prefer Mercurial (<http://mercurial.selenic.com/>)
>> > because on Windows it is more lightweight and performant than Git.
>> >
>> > I also prefer Mercurial to Git because I find its syntax and workflow
>> > more intuitive. This is of course personal taste.
>> >
>> > Mercurial repositories are also available in SourceForge. But if the
>> > primary MinGW-w64 contributors are all more familiar with Git then I
>> > suppose it shall be Git.
>> >
>> > My two cents. :)
>>
>> >From the sidelines - a big yes please for switching to git.  In my
>> experience, the ease of git branching makes it far more comfortable
>> making and proposing changes, even substantial changes.
>>
>> I hear the same is true of mercurial, but I know it much less well.
>>
>> I very much like the github pull-request system for code review - does
>> sourceforge have something similar?  I know bitbucket does.  For the
>> projects I'm involved in, pull requests make proposing changes very
>> fluid, and they are good for recording discussion as well.
>
> I quite dislike github and its UI in particular. Uses flash on every
> page (no idea what for) and lots of javascript which makes my laptop
> heat and get noisy when displaying something as small as a 3-lines diff.
>
> Anyway, is there an advantage github's pages over doing it on the
> mailing-list like it is currently done? The amount of messages which
> comes from that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Sometimes it doesn't seem as if small things will make much
difference, but when you try them, they do.

Things really change when you're using git - because

a) work is naturally arranged in commits (this helps review and organization)
b) you can make more substantial changes because branching / merging is so easy

This makes it harder to review patches as text in email, because
patches usually don't carry the commit info, and because it's only
comfortable to review small changes in email text. It's very
inconvenient reviewing larger work-in-progress changes via patches,
because it's easy to lose track of the relationship of previous
comments and code changes.  If the author responds to comments, they
either have to email the whole revised patch again, or you the
developer need to keep a branch of your own in sync with theirs, in
order to test their changes.

This is why the pull-request mechanism is so remarkably good in github
- it makes proposing changes part of ordinary workflow.  A proposed
change is always just a branch.

1) Start work on your own branch
2) Push to your own fork on github while you're working
3) Make pull request via a few clicks or 'hub' command line tool
4) Anyone can comment on whole pull request, individual commits or
individual lines, using github email interface or web form interface.
5) Comments remain on web interface for public record.
6) Developer can rebase on master as needed using same pull request pages.

I think this isn't very obvious at first because svn is so hard to
branch that you very rarely get substantial / long-lived changes
except by the lead developers.

I really like the command line, I use vim as my editor, never use GUIs
for git - but I couldn't live without the github pull-request
interface for my projects.

Cheers,

Matthew