On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 4:29 AM, Fred Crowson <fred.crow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 June 2011 09:12, Benny Lofgren <bl-li...@lofgren.biz> wrote:
>> Not to encourage or discourage the OP either way, I don't think you
>> should assume that he's only got one system to play with. After all,
>> it is perfectly feasible to make install builds on one system and
>> installing them on another (or a thousand others).
>>
>> Who knows, he might have invented a new extremely secure and robust
>> toaster he needs firmware for? :-)
>
> A toaster without a web server is so last century.....

There are also components that require the apr libraries. Subversion,
for example, uses various Apache components at compile time to build
mod_dav_svn, and avoiding its compilation is..... not well supported.
Subversion these days, however, pretty much needs Apache 2.x.

Stripping a few meg can make a big difference when building a live CD
or a USB stick setup, so the desire to do so is understandable. But
you do have to factor in the time spent tuning the install, rather
than doing something useful like ripping unnecessary perl components
out, bleeding and screaming, to avoid CPAN dependency whimsies. (Yes,
I was doing that last week.)