On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:13:10 -0700
patrick keshishian wrote:

> > added daemons have different connotations from those included in obsd
> > base, and this also applies to debian and derivatives. the closest
> > parallel would be packages built from ports and the automation pkg_add
> > performs on installing them
>
> you failed at making any point.

I think the point was that things like avahi and cups do have exploits
regularly and may not be required at all on certain systems and even
manually using init.d stop and update-rc.d and chkconfig etc. etc. does
not often work so every so often you have to find the new place to edit
a script and prevent those things from running, I assume they assume why
would anyone stop those, with this breaking install scripts, it is
amateurish, brutish and flagrantly ignorant.

Another annoyance is the assumption of "why would anyone not want to
run a kde desktop without mysqld" and especially "apt-get remove
'plate from dishwasher' ... to do this you must remove the kitchen sink.

And now I've got e-coli.

I've also heard complaints, but this depends on your setup that some
don't have enough bandwidth to keep their Linux box secure, so
preventing removal of these things is plainly wrong.