On 2012-06-01, Manolis Tzanidakis <mtzanida...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri (01/06/12), Marc Peters wrote:
>> Be aware, that OpenBSD cannot boot from softraid. / needs to be on a
>> single disk, but can be automatically backuped to an altroot device.
>
> Nowadays it does. My server's / is on a softraid(4) RAID-1 array.

This is arch dependent.

> The basic idea is to have a small 'a' slice for the kernel on each
> disk and a 'd' (or whatever) for the raid.
> installboot(8) does the right thing automatically these days.

At least on amd64 you don't need a special partition for the kernel.

- Shell out of the installer.

- sh /dev/MAKEDEV sd1 (etc).

- Create the RAID partition on the physical disks, you don't need another
partition there.

- Use bioctl to create the softraid.

- Run the installer normally and choose the softraid disk as the install
destination.

> I think there is an article on undeadly with more detailed instructions
> / explanations.
>
> A raid on USB devices is not a good idea for a whole lot of other
> reasons though.

yeah. might be useful in testing but I agree.