On 1 June 2012 13:49, Manolis Tzanidakis <mtzanida...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri (01/06/12), Marc Peters wrote:
> > Be aware, that OpenBSD cannot boot from softraid. / needs to be on a
> > single disk, but can be automatically backuped to an altroot device.
>
> Nowadays it does. My server's / is on a softraid(4) RAID-1 array.
> The basic idea is to have a small 'a' slice for the kernel on each
> disk and a 'd' (or whatever) for the raid.
> installboot(8) does the right thing automatically these days.
>
> I think there is an article on undeadly with more detailed instructions
> / explanations.
>
> A raid on USB devices is not a good idea for a whole lot of other
> reasons though.
>
> --
> Manolis Tzanidakis
> http://mtzanidakis.com/
> mtzanidakis[at]gmail[dot]com

Oh you are obviously such a seasoned OpenBSD expert, please tell us
more about your USB RAID experience and why it is a bad idea.

It would be great if you could also go into deeper detail about / on
softraid - you must be the first one to mention it here on misc and
i'm sure everyone reading this is eager to learn how to make it work.

Best regards