On Fri (01/06/12), Eugene Yunak wrote:
> On 1 June 2012 13:49, Manolis Tzanidakis <mtzanida...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nowadays it does. My server's / is on a softraid(4) RAID-1 array.
> > The basic idea is to have a small 'a' slice for the kernel on each
> > disk and a 'd' (or whatever) for the raid.
> > installboot(8) does the right thing automatically these days.
> > I think there is an article on undeadly with more detailed instructions
> > / explanations.
> >
> > A raid on USB devices is not a good idea for a whole lot of other
> > reasons though.
>
> Oh you are obviously such a seasoned OpenBSD expert, please tell us
> more about your USB RAID experience and why it is a bad idea.

The most obvious is that NAND flash devices have shorter lifespan than
hard disks. Imagine wearing out both devices simultaneously with the
RAID-1.
I think it's better to have a USB stick for /, /usr and dump&restore or
rsync it to the 2nd stick for redundancy. You should repeat this on
updates. You should keep /var, /usr/{obj,ports,src}, /home and any other
fs with frequent writes on the hard disks to extend the life of the USB
stick.

> It would be great if you could also go into deeper detail about / on
> softraid - you must be the first one to mention it here on misc and
> i'm sure everyone reading this is eager to learn how to make it work.

I guess Stuart covered this on this thread. You should also read this:
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20111002154251

--
Manolis Tzanidakis
http://mtzanidakis.com/