On 1 June 2012 17:11, Manolis Tzanidakis <mtzanida...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri (01/06/12), Eugene Yunak wrote:
>> On 1 June 2012 13:49, Manolis Tzanidakis <mtzanida...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > A raid on USB devices is not a good idea for a whole lot of other
>> > reasons though.
>>
>> Oh you are obviously such a seasoned OpenBSD expert, please tell us
>> more about your USB RAID experience and why it is a bad idea.
>
> The most obvious is that NAND flash devices have shorter lifespan than
> hard disks. Imagine wearing out both devices simultaneously with the
> RAID-1.
> I think it's better to have a USB stick for /, /usr and dump&restore or
> rsync it to the 2nd stick for redundancy. You should repeat this on
> updates. You should keep /var, /usr/{obj,ports,src}, /home and any other
> fs with frequent writes on the hard disks to extend the life of the USB
> stick.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom, now i know what i *should do*, you
made it pretty clear. Have you considered three-way mirror? What do
you think about mounting filesystems read-only? Have you heard of NFS
and remote syslog? I'm sure you will grant us the mercy of knowing why
all these are not a good idea.

>> It would be great if you could also go into deeper detail about / on
>> softraid - you must be the first one to mention it here on misc and
>> i'm sure everyone reading this is eager to learn how to make it work.
>
> I guess Stuart covered this on this thread. You should also read this:
> http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20111002154251

Oh yes Stuart knows what he's talking about.