On 06/01/2012 04:55 PM, Theo de Raadt wrote:
On the other hand, GPT by itself appears useful.
What is useful about GPT?  *EVERY USER* has the following
simple requirements:

     1. I have a machine.
     2. I want to install an operating system on it (or, have an
        operating system installed from the factory)

What am I missing -- what is useful about GPT?

I guess I mean -- what is *MORE* useful about GPT, compared to the
other options already available?

I guess I should be even more clear:  Does GPT provide any
functionality that *EVERY USER* needs?

No, it does not.
I agree completely that any OS can write any kind of disk label
(or none) that it needs. As you say, in the very, very large
majority of cases no FDISK or GPT or anything else external
to the loaded OS is needed.

The apparent advantage of GPT over FDISK partitions is that it
can describe partitions > 2TB for systems hosting multiple
OSes. That's all I meant. Sorry that it wasn't clear.

Geoff Steckel