> Run it off the regular CVS servers. Let pages get translated with small
> diffs. If I want to translate just one sentence, why not? Eventually the
> whole page will be done (many people contributing, not just one person)
> and only need small updates.

The many fingers myth.

It actually does no produce useable results.  It was impeding other
changes.  People didn't want to improve things because it would hurt
the translation effort.

> Perhaps some ports for base commands only? man --lang=es rm or something
> like that? How many minutes to just add a translation for rm, mv and cp?

Are you kidding?  Who does that help?  Who?

> Regularly I see people wanting something helpful to do, but they can't
> program C or this or that, etc. This would give something for
> non-developers to do and feel good about.

The project as a whole does not exist to "make non-developers feel
good".  A soup kitchen is what you are looking for.