On 07/12/14 21:32, Brad Smith wrote:
> On 12/07/14 05:18, Riley Baird wrote:

>>> The blobs we do not like are pieces of code running inside the kernel.
>>>
>>> Code running on a device is a completely different category.
>>
>> True, but the press releases never even mentioned the microcode, which
>> is kind of confusing given the normal usage of the word "binary blob".
>
> "Blobs are vendor-compiled binary drivers without any source code."
>
> That couldn't be more clear what the projects meaning of blobs is.
> Microcode won't be mentioned when it is already pretty clear what the
> meaning is. Nothing to be confused about there at all. That is your
> interpretation of the meaning and not the common use.

Since I interpreted the meaning incorrectly, it is likely that others
did as well. In any case, I'm sure that we can all agree that ideally
the microcode would come with source. Some people are going to take that
idealism further, and decide not to use the microcode. I don't see the
harm in helping these people, whether it be through a derivative distro,
or even a question in the installation scripts. (I wrote a patch for an
installer question a couple of months ago, if you're interested.)