On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 09:44:35PM -0500, Nick Holland wrote:
> On 02/18/15 09:32, Erling Westenvik wrote:
>> The last few months, I've been unable to tag other people when
>> commenting on Facebook. I've tried resetting Firefox, disabling
>> add-ons, deleting old profiles, reinstalling the browser, and even
>> doing a fresh install of Firefox on a new OpenBSD installation. All
>> to now avail.
>>
>> I suspect the user agent setting to be the culprit and have tried
>> experimenting with various strings. Some of them enables me to tag
>> other people, but messes up other things.
>>
>> Would anyone using Facebook be so kind as to provide me with a
>> working user agent string for Firefox (35.0) ?
>
> I've noticed this as well lately.  It's obviously a change on FB's
> side, not on OpenBSD's side (since you have gone back to old versions
> to verify the problem still happens on versions I know it didn't).
> Curiously, I think I have noticed it impacting my (completely stock)
> android phone, too, though that may just mean it is over due for a
> reboot.

It's all about the user agent string. When changing from the default:

        Mozilla/5.0 (X11; OpenBSD amd64; rv:35.0)
        Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0

to:

        Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; OpenBSD i386; en-US; rv:1.9.1)
        Gecko/20090702 Firefox/3.5

things started to work as expected. Not that the "working" string is
ideal; it just happened to be one I tried and which worked. I'll try to
figure out which part(s) of it that matches Facebook's somewhat flaky
user agent string detection "algorithm".

> I'm not losing any sleep over it, however.  I seem to have low
> expectations for people coding not-stupidly.

Thanks for help/patience/sarcasm, everyone, and sorry for the noise.

Erling