On 4/1/2015 4:16 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
Should there be a difference if I haven't botched the source tree for
/usr/ports at some point?

     firefox --version

tells me

     Mozilla Firefox 31.0

(It also gives a warning about size mismatch in a couple of c++ libraries
and says I should relink the program, which is part of the message it sends
to the console every time I run it. I'vd been ignoring that message.)

And

     pkg_add -u firefox

just talks to itself, then says

     quirks-2.9 signed on 2014-08-02T11:06:132

but

     cd /usr/ports/www/firefox-esr
     make -n

tells me

     lock=firefox-esr-31.5.3

Hello. I had similar issues figuring this out when I started using OpenBSD again recently.

If you are running -stable, the packages available from pkg_add are -release packages. From what others have said, the -release packages usually do not receive updates.

To use -stable packages (which do receive updates via CVS), you must use ports and compile them from the ports tree.

Obviously this is subject to change at any time but as far as I know that is still the situation.

I don't mind using ports instead of packages myself. But, I haven't tried OpenBSD on the desktop yet (routers/firewalls and servers so far). Compiling huge stuff that updates often like Firefox could be kind of a pain I would guess.

--

John Merriam