On Apr 3, 2015 6:35 AM, "Joel Rees" <joel.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Probably should grab something to monitor the temperatures, etc., while I
try building the compiler again. Maybe use job control to suspend the build
process every five minutes or so and let things cool down. (Since I can't
afford a new motherboard right now.)

Moving keyboards and books away from the case vents helps a lot.

Temperature was holding steady at 42 C or below with the vents clear until
about insn_emit or so. In the insn_* stuff, I'm getting 43 with the vents
uncovered.

--------

With the vents uncovered, I made it through compiling gcc 4.8.3 in about
five hours without suddenly resetting.  (12+ year old 32 bit sempron 2600+.
Did I set the temperature limit down in the BIOS?)

heh.

firefox 31.5.3 is now compiling. It recognizes gcc 4.8.3 built here, where
the same added with pkg_add -u was apparently not seen by the make process
for firefox.