On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 05:16:25 +0900 Joel Rees <joel.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should there be a difference if I haven't botched the source tree for
> /usr/ports at some point?
>
>     firefox --version
>
> tells me
>
>     Mozilla Firefox 31.0
>
> (It also gives a warning about size mismatch in a couple of c++ libraries
> and says I should relink the program, which is part of the message it sends
> to the console every time I run it. I'vd been ignoring that message.)
>
> And
>
>     pkg_add -u firefox
>
> just talks to itself, then says
>
>     quirks-2.9 signed on 2014-08-02T11:06:132
>
> but
>
>     cd /usr/ports/www/firefox-esr
>     make -n
>
> tells me
>
>     lock=firefox-esr-31.5.3
>
> Without the -n, it would try to install firefox 31.5.3, but break on lack
> of disk space for installing gcc 4.8.3. I installed gcc-4.8.3 from
> packages, but the make process didn't see that, and still tried to install
> it again. (gcc --version from the command line says 4.2.1.)

for the package you need to check the patch version as well. whenever there
is a change in the patches that the ports build system applies, it changes.

if you want the version that the port build will produce do:

$ (cd /usr/ports/lang/gcc/4.8/ && make _print-packagename)
gcc-4.8.4p2

if you have gcc-4.8.4p1 that is considered a different package version.

to get the installed one:
$ pkg_info -I gcc
gcc-4.8.4p2         GNU compiler collection: core C compiler

there are alot of options for make that are in bsd.port.mk(5) (although the
one i used above is technically an internal make command). you also might
have better luck asking these questions on ports@ in the future.