On 09/11/15 11:55, luke...@onemodel.org wrote:
Short version: In OpenBSD 5.7 (with all the latest security
patches), after some video playing, it
starts to stutter, and doesn't recover until I reboot. Is there
a way to "reset all the audio" back so it works, short of rebooting?
I haven't found that in anything I've read so far, including from
faq 13 and manpages for audioctl and mixerctl etc.

The details:
[...are found in original thread at:
    http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=144199440202788&w=2
]

I upgraded to 5.8 as advised in the earlier thread, and the
problem is definitely much reduced, but still happens occasionally.
It seems to be mostly after I use the xfce volume control slider
(ie the audio mixer panel plugin).  It usually doesn't have any
problem if I move around in the video, change the volume via the
slider inside the video area in the browser, or if I use the computer
for something else, but did fail just now when I tried to watch a 2nd
video via a link.

I confirmed that, as described before IIRC, when the problem
occurs with symptoms in chrome, and I try to use timidity to
play a .mid file, I get this output from timidity:
    io_open() failed
    Couldn't open sndio mode (`s')

Is there other info I can provide, or something I should try?

Thanks!

--
Luke A. Call