$cat sndiod-log
snd0 pst=cfg.default: rec=0:1 play=0:1 vol=23170 dup
listen(/tmp/aucat/aucat0|ini): created

this is very strange, sndiod would have logged all the audio
traffic.  Could you check that this is the right file or that
programs are not bypassing sndiod for any reason ?

It's the right file, or at least it was created at that time,
evidently as a direct result of the -ddd switch.  I'm not aware
of what else could have created it.

Could sndiod have got into a state where it quits logging
(maybe somehow related to the audio looping w/ the same beep
for a long time)? Or, needs a poke to flush a log buffer
to disk?  or more -d's?

Is the error message from timidity (midi-playing client)
relevant?:
    io_open() failed
    Couldn't open sndio mode (`s')

How would I determine if
something bypasses sndiod?  E.g., would some other
client program give more helpful info, at least about what
it's trying to do and how it's trying it, like aucat or
something?  Should I be running something akin to
linux's strace to really dig at some angle? (I'm
not remembering the openbsd equivalent.)

It is highly possible that I'm doing something stupid,
and just not seeing it or something else obvious, yet.

Thanks much for the help.

-Luke