I just got consistent internet for my laptop and got the ftp and sed  call
pipes and stuff to work. What I want to know is if I make multiple fork()
to execl() ping calls, should I limit the number of a standard
argument-free call to my pkg_ping to 8 or so threads which pings each of
the mirrors 9 or so times(and calculate the median latency) at 1 ping per
second, or will the mirrors have ping firewall rules that relegate such a
machine to a spam anchor in the of rules? I was thinking about having ftp
download a small package to determine download speeds, but I wonder whether
if I did that on a specific file, whether the results may be skewed by
inconsistent squid or similar program caching often downloaded files on
mirrors.