> I've been putting mine in a dedicated partition. /var/vmm should probably
> be its own partition if used.
>
> nodev, nosuid are probably good choices there too.

That won't work.  People without an additional partition will get these
mount options.  And anyways those system flags don't make any sense for
such controlled files.

Anyways, this stuff should not be in /var at all!

     /var/      Multi-purpose log, temporary, transient, and spool files.

Note the word transient.

These vmm images people are creating are for their own use, and I don't
think they should be anywhere near a system directory, let alone the
system directory /var.

I'd suggest /home/vmm as a good place to store them.