On 18/07/2017 17:15, Theo de Raadt wrote:
Sure. I don't have a really strong opinion one way or the other. When I
mentioned I put mine in a dedicated partition, I use /data/vmm or various
places in /home if I've already fully partitioned the machine in question.

I don't think a seperate partition is neccessary.

However I think this should stop saying /var/anything right away, because
that is leading people in the wrong direction.

I tend to store vital personal data in $HOME or /home/... in dedicated $HOME users

but in my opinion there's nothing wrong to put anything available to all users in /usr/local/share/whathever and stay far away from /var

regards,

Luca