On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 09:08:10AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > I've been putting mine in a dedicated partition. /var/vmm should probably
> > be its own partition if used.
> >
> > nodev, nosuid are probably good choices there too.
>
> That won't work.  People without an additional partition will get these
> mount options.  And anyways those system flags don't make any sense for
> such controlled files.
>
> Anyways, this stuff should not be in /var at all!
>
>      /var/      Multi-purpose log, temporary, transient, and spool files.
>
> Note the word transient.
>
> These vmm images people are creating are for their own use, and I don't
> think they should be anywhere near a system directory, let alone the
> system directory /var.
>
> I'd suggest /home/vmm as a good place to store them.

Sure. I don't have a really strong opinion one way or the other. When I
mentioned I put mine in a dedicated partition, I use /data/vmm or various
places in /home if I've already fully partitioned the machine in question.

I think the original mentioning of /var/vmm probably was put in there
based on the similar usage of /var/www, but I won't defend that choice :)

-ml